06 October 2014

Reflowering Phalaenopsis Orchid

I've posted a few times now about my Phalaenopsis orchid, here and here. I just wanted to write a quite post because, with this being my first orchid, I was really pleased that it grew a brand new flower stalk and put on an impressive flower display.

When it finished flowering last year, I cut the flower stalk right down because I didn't think it would have the energy to re-flower straight away on the same stalk. I'm glad I did this because the orchid responded by growing some new roots and a new leaf.

This took some time, but as the new leaf and roots began to earn their keep and provide resources for the plant, a new flower stalk emerged. It took around a month from the emergence of the new leaf to the emergence of the new flower stalk. It can be seen in the photo below, can you see it!?

I rather like the aerial roots of epiphytic orchids. Research has shown that the epidermis of the aerial roots, called velamen, assists in nutrient uptake and thereby fulfils and important function. The velamen is often a grey-white colour, but when growing and when wet often looks green due to the photosynthetic structures below the epidermis.

While the orchid came in a red pot, I removed it from that pot and allow the roots access to the light. So, while root photosynthesis probably doesn't contribute much to total plant photosynthesis, it makes watering and enjoying these cool-looking roots much easier! There is some evidence that the roots avoid darkness, so it means I don't have roots stretching all over the place trying to access light - which could become an issue - and seem to be happy to mostly remain within the pot.


Around another two months passed until the flower stalk had grown significantly and showed signs of flower buds!

A month later and the very first flower bud opened. I noticed that on the first stalk, the flowers opened one at a time working along the stem to the end. However, on subsequent stalks, it seemed to open the flowers in a random pattern.

The end results was many lovely flowers:

I have to say; I was well chuffed that my orchid flowered again. It just goes to show that if I can do it, very little skill is required!
The whole process from cutting the old stem off, to the flowering of the new stem took around 6 months. When it had finished flowering this time, I cut the stem just below the position of the lowest flower ( the cut is shown in the photo below) in the hopes that it will flower again on this flower stalk.


The big question is: Will it re-flower on this stem? Only time will tell! I'll write an update in the near future to show its progress!

Thanks for reading.

Resources:
Zotz, G., & Winkler, U. (2013). Aerial roots of epiphytic orchids: the velamen radicum and its role in water and nutrient uptake Oecologia, 171 (3), 733-741 DOI: 10.1007/s00442-012-2575-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!