28 June 2013

In the garden - What's in my lawn!?

Well perhaps, lawn is a bit too grand a term for our patch as it's just an area that even grass struggles to survive.Being clay it is often damp and waterlogged - when it's not dry to the point of cracking.

I scuttled over to have a quick look at the Oxford English Dictionary website, which my to surprise provides quite a few definitions of lawn, so perhaps I'm not so far off the mark, including:
"A portion of a garden or pleasure-ground, covered with grass, which is kept closely mown."
" A stretch of untilled ground; an extent of grass-covered land."
and
"An open space between woods; a glade" (OED Website)

Anyway! I decided to perform an experiment, whereby we stopped mowing the lawn for a period of a month or so. We could then see what, and how many, plant species are growing in our lawn, whether it be grass species or other species of plant.

It's similar to an experiment that Darwin performed in his gardens at Down House, which a letter to Joseph Dalton Hooker (responsible for the Victorian rhodedendron mania), describes:
"I have let 34 sqe feet of old Lawn grow up, & 18 plants in 17 genera have flowered during this summer. Exactly same numbers as in whole Keeling islands, though so many miles in length!—" Darwin Correspondence Project.

Our experiment wasn't as successful in terms of genera, or even species, but it was interesting all the same. Our findings included: Grass species consisting of a species of Meadow Grass, Yorkshire Fog, Crested Dog's-Tail, and Perennial Ryegrass. Along with other flowering plant species: A dock and a thistle (not in flower yet), Field Madder, Common Mouse-ear, Creeping Buttercup, Red Clover, White Clover, Dandelion (past flowering, so only a rosette of leaves remain), and Daisy. 

Our lawn and a bird's-eye view showing buttercup, red clover, daisy, and grass.

Here are Crested Dog's-tail and a species of Meadow grass.

Another bird's-eye view showing how dominant White Clover can be if left to its own devices.

Yorkshire Fog to the left and an ant's-eye view of the lawn. It's interesting to see the 'canopies' created by the various plants. 

Field Madder and Common Mouse-ear - commonly seen as pest's, but when you get close to them they have a certain beauty to them.

So even though we only had 13 species, I had a great time watching the lawn grow over these past few weeks. It's exciting to see that even after a years of being kept short, all of these plants were just waiting for their time to shine. I'm glad that we gave them that time.

Have you performed a similar experiment in your garden? If so, I'd love to hear about it in the comments - especially any links to posts you've written about it.

23 comments:

  1. I might try this experiment! I know that we have yarrow, bird's foot trefoil sp., dandelion, spear thistle, creeping thistle. black medic and perennial rye grass, but I'm curious now how many I may find...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an interesting experiment - especially for something so easy to do. I know that we've lost chickweed since last year and I think we may have had black medic too. I'll look forward to seeing if you have time for the experiment too :)

      Delete
  2. A great idea! Last year poor weather and a dodgy mower meant the lawns remained uncut until August. I photographed several species of grass but the highlight was a single specimen of common spotted orchid. This year although I have mown the lawns at intervals I have allowed phases of 'blooming' - first dandelions and then a beautiful display of creeping buttercups and germander speedwell. I have left the lawn margins untouched and was pleased to find a solitary sanicle growing under overhanging shrubbery. My favourite quote: "I am not a lover of lawns. Rather would I see daisies in their thousands, ground ivy, hawkweed, and even the hated plantain with tall stems, and dandelions with splendid flowers and fairy down, than the too-well-tended lawn." ~W.H. Hudson, The Book of a Naturalist, 1919

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete. Very jealous of your common spotted orchid from last year. Great idea to have phases of blooming. I had to look up sanicle and it seems to be what I know as self-heal - we had that last year in our borders, but it's absent this year sadly. That's a really nice quote - thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. I too had to look up sanicle. I used the BSBI online questionnaire to help id it. (http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/flora/). It is actually a member of the Umbelliferae with tiny white flowers arranged in small tight umbels. Apparently it is normally found growing in woodland on limestone so to avoid further scalping by the mower I am going to replant it under the beech tree!

      Delete
    3. Ah right, with you now. You mean species of Sanicula? It looks lovely - definitely worth moving so you can enjoy it.
      The BSBI site is really good. A couple of good sites that can help ID things are Wild About Britain, which I use a lot for confirmations and also iSpot.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic!! I have literally done a very similar thing this week, where I counted the species in a metre by metre patch in the middle of the lawn and watched for half hour or so, counting the visiting insects as well. Very interesting indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds cool. How many species did you find? Hope to see on your blog.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tim, results are up here http://tomyoung89.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/mini-garden-survey-perfect-lawns-are.html

      I hope you do not mind, I have put a link to this post of yours into my blog!

      Delete
  4. This post and the comments make me happy. Hooray for uncut lawns! :-) I have a native "lawn" which I mow parts of to satisfy city rules. With our cold winters and fairly dry summers, that's not very often, fortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of city rule about mowing lawns before, intriguing. Glad you like the post and comments.

      Delete
  5. This is really interesting! I might take inspiration from yours and Tom's experiment and do a little study myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. You definitely should, it would be really interesting to see what you find.

      Delete
  6. Hi Tim,

    I followed the link from Tom's blog and found this fascinating. We recently made a pond in the garden and decided to extend the wild area to include it, which meant no mowing. It has been really interesting watching what grows there and the insects that have come as a result. Every garden should have a wild patch I think, because with even a small area the benefits to wildlife are significant.

    Very interesting post I enjoyed reading it and like Lou think I will also do a small study in our garden. CT :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your lovely comment. I totally agree, every garden should have a wild patch - it can provide so much enjoyment. I've added both your and Lou's blogs to my list :)

      Delete
  7. Nice post buddy, i like your garden very much, specially grass, fog drops and yellow flowers looks awesome. i also wanna these in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This might be a good idea for a lawn, especially if it’s not really a part of the house that the family goes out to and walk around on. At least this way, you’ll have natural growth and you don’t have to maintain is as much as you do a normal grass turf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's definitely one of those things that are worth trying at least once! It's always quick to remedy, if you find you're not keen on it :)

      Delete
  9. Also, it might be best to look at plants that tend to grow out rather than shoot upwards. That way, you only have to start from the center or from the sides and let nature take its course. My only concern is on checking whatever may be living under that low cover should it grow too dense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanene, thanks for commenting. Yes, that makes sense. I saw an experimental non-grass lawn recently that used plants like Ajuga, which happily grow out. I was happy to see it being used as this year I planted a few under our plum tree to help control 'weeds'!

      Delete
  10. Ajuga would take over one of our lawns if we let it! the other one is being taken over by celandine just now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like ajuga because when it spreads it does so in a slow enough manner that it can be controlled, it also suppresses weeds quite well. The trials of grass-free lawns at Reading University seems to be going well. Perhaps you can lead the way and have an ajuga lawn!!? There are some nice cultivars you would add in :)

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!