11 April 2012

Tawny Owl Chicks - Sparrowhawk Island Revisited

 A while back I wrote about the Tawny Owl web cam I'd been watching. Mrs. Owl laid 4 eggs in total and while I'd heard that some of these eggs had hatched, I'd yet to see the chicks myself. However, I tuned in this afternoon and saw the remains of a cracked egg. Luckily at 20:33 this evening I refreshed my WAB screen to see a very welcome update from Hedgehoggy saying that Mrs. Owl had left the nest 3 minutes preivously. I rushed over to the site and managed to get the screenshot below:

But more than that, I managed to capture some footage of the chicks moving around and leaning on each other, I assume for warmth, just before mother came back:


That leaves one more egg to hatch, so if you want to watch the wonderful goings on in this nesting box tune in for yourself at:  http://www.sparrowhawk-island.co.uk/live_sparrowhawk_and_wildlife_cams.php

Thanks again to Sparrowhawk Island.

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous footage! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. Nice cam! I'm not always fond of technology, but regarding birds or bears, or any animals living in nests and dens, cams are such a wonderful study tool.
    I'm watching that one at the moment http://www.falconsforeveryone.be/live2.jsp?lang=en : peregrine falcons who have just hatched at the top of Brussels Cathedral ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      You're right they're a great study tool and allow us to watch and understand things that we wouldn't normally get the opportunity to. Thanks for the link, she's napping at the moment, but I can see cracked egg shell! I've been watching this one from Nottingham: http://www.ntu.ac.uk/ecoweb/biodiversity/falcons/index.html# :)

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!