24 April 2012

In the garden - the front garden - Part 1 of 2

The photo above is our front garden as it was when we moved in. It took us a while to decide what we wanted for the front garden, but we knew instantly what we didn't want. Out went those blue planters fairly quickly! I also dug out the tree stumps from someones attempt at tree surgery.

We did know that we wanted some privacy, or at least the feeling of some privacy. We also wanted something that was easy to maintain, but also something that we'd want to look out at and get enjoyment from.

As you can see the garden has a slope towards the path, but what you can't see is that there's a substantial lump in the middle of the grass too! Another thing that you can't see, is that the soil we are blessed with is clay. Oxford clay to be precise, but the name of a posh city, no matter how well known, didn't make digging it any easier! (Click here to find out what's under your garden!).

Regarding the privacy issue, we decided on a low fence to partition us from the neighbours. But looking at the rest of the street, we decided that fencing the whole garden wouldn't be suitable. We really liked the idea of having a hedge around the rest of the garden and set to researching hedging options. We found what's called a 'conservation mix' which includes:
  • 40% Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna)
  • 15% Blackthorn (Prunus spinosa)
  • 15% Field Maple (Acer campestre)
Plus 5% each from 6 other species inc.
  • Cherry Plum
  • Native Dogwood
  • Crab Apple
  • Guelder Rose
  • Spindle
  • Dog Rose/Field Rose
  • Wayfaring Tree

Having decided on the hedge, I did a bit of research about how to deal with the clay and the regular water logging of the garden! I reached for my trusty RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening Techniques, which led me to deciding that I'd double dig the very front, which was the worst affected with the water logging and single dig the rest. Along with the double digging I'd add a good layer of gravel to help the water disperse, on top of which I'd add a good layer of compost to encourage the plant roots to venture downwards.

The going was tough and it took a while, this is how the front ditch looked after digging.

As this post is getting a bit longer than I expected, I'll continue this on a second post. Please continue reading by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this project with us. I have heavy clay soil as well. My husband used a pick ax to dig where the vegetable garden is. I don't do that any more. I put dow newspaper, or better yet leaf bags and cover with a top soil/compost mixture and plant through the paper. Then I mulch. The top soil, compost, and mulch will percolate through the soil. If it is a big area, I skip the top soil/compost step and just dig through the paper. Every autumn and spring I add compost and mulch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, it's nice to hear from you. Like you we had to use a pickaxe too, luckily we were able to borrow one - don't think we've have managed it otherwise. That sounds like a good method, I think we need to add more mulch soon, it's wearing a bit thin!

      Delete

I really enjoy reading and replying to your comments, but please do not use this space for advertising!